We have worked on plans to receive returns and offer curbside services in a way that provides materials to you and also keeps our staff and community safe. We are now ready to move forward and take the first steps in restarting limited library services at the Main Library (2600 Harnish Drive).
We will accept returns through our drive-thru window only beginning on Tuesday, May 26 at the Main Library only. In order to manage the 20,000+ items that are currently checked out without overwhelming our automated materials handler, staff, or quarantining system, we kindly ask you adhere to the following schedule for returns:
• Tuesday, May 26 – 12noon-5:30pm – Last name starts with A-J
• Wednesday, May 27 – 12noon-5:30pm – Last name starts with F-O
• Thursday, May 28 – 12noon-5:30pm – Last name starts with K-T
• Friday, May 29 – 12noon-5:30pm – Last name starts with P-Z
• Saturday, May 30 – 12noon-1:30pm– Any letter unable to return on another day
ALL RETURNS will be held in quarantine for 7 days before they are checked in or made available for checkout.
*Returns will be suspended from Sunday, May 31 through Tuesday, June 2 for parking lot sealcoating.
Beginning Wednesday, June 3, returns will be accepted on the following schedule: M-F 12noon-6pm and Sa 12noon-2pm. As a reminder, all due dates on currently checked out materials have been extended to July 1.
MATERIALS REQUEST/PHONE SUPPORT
We will begin accepting phone calls on Monday, June 1. Call 847 458-6060.
• Press 3 for questions about your account
• Press 5 for Adult Services
• Press 6 for Youth Services
Staff will be available to take materials requests, offer Readers’ Advisory, and assist with Summer Reading Program registration. You may also complete a form on our website to submit materials requests and allow substitutions for titles that are not available. For safety and efficiency reasons, we will not be able to fill same-day requests for materials. At this time, we only have access to materials owned by AAPLD; therefore, holds will only be placed for AAPLD cardholders.
CURBSIDE PICKUP SERVICE
Curbside pickup service will begin on Monday, June 8 at the Main Library for AAPLD cardholders only. In order to manage a high volume of requests efficiently and safely, you will receive phone call notification when your materials are ready for pickup, and staff will assist you with scheduling a pickup time slot. If we do not talk to you in person, we ask that you call back to select a pickup time slot. Time slots are available Monday-Friday from 12noon-5:30 pm and Saturday from 12noon-1:30 pm.
CURBSIDE PICKUP PROCEDURES
When arriving at the Main Library to pick up library materials, please have your library card or photo ID (or your library card enabled on the library app) ready. You will be required to remain in your vehicle at all times unless you are opening or closing your trunk. Curbside pickup will work as follows:
- Enter the parking lot and follow the driving path to the drive-thru window at your scheduled time.
- Show your library card/ID/library app at the window. A library staff member will confirm that your materials are available, ask for vehicle identification information, and instruct you to pull ahead and park in the lot and open your trunk.
- A library staff member will bring your materials to your vehicle and place them in your trunk (or next to your vehicle if your trunk is not open).
- You will close your own trunk after the library staff member walks away.
We are working to make this process safe, quick, and as efficient as possible. We ask for your patience and understanding as there may be a line at the drive-thru or short delay in getting your materials to your vehicle.
In addition to library materials, we will also be distributing Summer Reading Program materials and supplies for take-and-make crafts for all ages (as available). We are looking forward to connecting you with the library materials you want! Thank you for continuing to support your library.
Stay safe and be well. And we will see you at the drive-thru!
Frequently Asked Questions
When is curbside going to start?
Curbside services will begin on Monday, June 8 for AAPLD cardholders only. Curbside service hours will operate Monday through Friday from 12 pm – 6 pm and Saturdays from 12 pm – 2 pm.
When can I return my materials?
Depending on the letter your last name begins with, you will be able to return materials during the week of May 26-30.
- Last name starts with A-J: Tuesday, May 26 – 12 – 5:30 pm
- Last name starts with F-O: Wednesday, May 27 – 12 – 5:30 pm
- Last name starts with K-T: Thursday, May 28 – 12 – 5:30 pm
- Last name starts with P-Z: Friday, May 29 – 12 – 5:30 pm
- Any letter unable to return on another day: Saturday, May 30 – 12 – 1:30 pm
Is there a limit to how many items I can check out through curbside at one time?
There is not currently a limit to the number of items that you can pick up through curbside checkout. However, we ask that you consider that our collection is currently limited and only request what you need. Adjustments to this practice may be made if necessary.
Do I have to have an AAPLD card to check out materials through AAPLD curbside service?
At this time, curbside service is for AAPLD cardholders only.
How do I place items on hold?
You are able to place items on hold through our catalog, our phone app, our online chat service on our website, or call us any time Monday through Friday 10 am – 6 pm or Saturday 12 pm – 2 pm.
What if I want an item, and AAPLD doesn’t have it?
Due to the suspension of interlibrary loans across the state of Illinois, we are only able to offer materials that are in our library at the moment of request. However, you can find even more materials available as ebooks, audiobooks, and more via services like hoopla and Overdrive. Find out all about our Digital Collections here.